1984 Raleigh Portage 650B
What an eBay score! This is my main “fast” bike and was 100% original down to the tires, racks and reflectors when I purchased it. I changed a few parts for reliability, fit and comfort, but retained the friction shifting and classic bike feel. The Portage was only produced by Raleigh for a few of years and was billed as their top of the line touring bike. Oh, and this is not a 650b conversion, it was originally produced by Raleigh as a 650b bicycle. I’ve ridden this bike on many long rides and brevets and can’t imagine a more comfortable “road bike”.
- Frameset: 1984 Raleigh Portage 650B 53CM
- Wheelset: Shimano Silent hub packed with Phil Wood grease on a Weinmann Rim in back with a Shimano LX dynamo hub on a Velocity rim in front.
- Tires: Soma 650B x38 Xpress Kevlar in terracotta color
- Fenders: Velo Orange 650B Hammered 45mm with a homemade leather mudflap
- Brakes, Shifters, Derailleurs: Shimano Deore Dearhead touring group
- Crankset: Shimano Tourney XT 30-40-48
- Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy or Welgo platforms
- Cassette: Sram PG850 11-30 8 Speed
- Handlebar: Salsa Bell Lap 44cm double wrapped with cork and cotton tape
- Stem: Velo Orange Grand Cru
- Saddle: Well loved Brooks B17 Special Edition
- Seat Post: UNO – easy to adjust single bolt.
- Front Rack: VO Constructeur
- Bags: Ostrich is the front, Zimbale in the back
- Lighting: Supernova E3 Pro Lefty with the mount flipped and extension removed in front, Planet Bike Superflash in back.