The four season fun bike that’s going through some changes in preparation for this summer’s travels. As spec’d from Surly this is a great build, but there’s always room for improvement. Some of the noteworthy changes are:
- Surly Bud 4.8″ 120tpi front tire
- Chris King Headset
- Thomson Elite X4 90mm x 10° stem – I replaced the tiny 3mm bolts with 4mm stainless
- Jeff Jones 710mm Loop Bar cut to 690mm and taped for comfort
- Ergon GP1 BioKork grips
- Wellgo B144 platform pedals
- Hope FatSno 100mm stainless steel bottom bracket – I shortened the center sleeve to fit the Surly Mr. Whirly crankset
- Carver Ti seatpost
- Brooks B17 Special Edition saddle – well broken in from the past few years
- Shimano XT M772 GS medium cage rear derailleur
I understand why manufacturers equip bikes with generic seats, they are a personal choice and an easy cost cutting spot, but I wish a better seatpost came stock on an almost 2K bike. On the plus side, it came with a Mr. Whirly crankset, Avid BB7 brakes, and 9 speed Microshift thumb shifters, which I’ll take over any other derailleur shifter choice.
Bags are by Defiant Pack and Revelate Designs, downtube cage is a Blackburn Outpost Cargo Cage that fits a 48oz Nalgene, and the waterproof stuff sacks are US military surplus.
One thought on “2013 Surly Pugsley Necromancer”